National Cinnamon Day is dedicated to one of the most popular spices in the world. Cinnamon is not only the most popular, but also the oldest. Do you know that it was originally used not in cooking, but in medicine? Chinese doctors used it to treat lung diseases. Agree, the spice, which is more than 4 thousand years old, deserves a personal holiday.
When we talk about holiday baking, we immediately feel the aroma of muffin and cinnamon. The spice is present in almost any recipe for cookies, pies, buns, chocolate, it is added to drinks and desserts. National Cinnamon Day was first celebrated in 2019 at the initiative of McCormick. The mission of the holiday is to take everyone back to childhood, to share home warmth and comfort. And the holiday is also aimed at popularizing this spice, because it contains many useful substances, and it also emphasizes the taste of the dish.
The spice is obtained from the inner part of the bark of some plants of the laurel family. Traditionally, we use cinnamon sticks in cooking, which we grind into powder, and a whole stick can be used to make drinks. A huge number of legends and myths are associated with the appearance of this spice, it is still not known for certain how and when cinnamon appeared.
- The largest producers and suppliers of cinnamon are Indonesia, China, these countries account for about 70% of the world’s spices.
- In the past, cinnamon was only available to the nobility, the monarchs, because it was very expensive.
- The spice merchants kept the sources of cinnamon a closely guarded secret in order to maintain a monopoly on its supply.
- According to one legend, cinnamon birds build their nests from sticks of this spice, but where they collect them is unknown.
- In the Roman Empire, cinnamon was used as payment for labor – one pound of cinnamon was paid for 50 months of work.
- Due to the strong aroma, spicy sticks were used in the cremation of the dead, it is known that Nero used a stock of spices with his head at the funeral of his wife.
How to celebrate
Cook with cinnamon – it’s delicious and it’s aromatic. Learn more about how else you can use the spice – in cosmetology, nutrition. Visit the nearest store and replenish your stocks of spice – there is never enough of it. Host a tea party with treats that smell like cinnamon. Your family and friends will be grateful for such a treat.
When is National Cinnamon Day celebrated in 2022?
National Cinnamon Day is observed on November 1 each year.