National Apple Dumpling Day is an annual holiday dedicated to apple dumplings. Celebrated on September 17th. This fruity dessert is loved by many people around the world. The recipe is very simple, but it surprises with its rich taste and expressive aroma, in which apple motifs are intertwined with hints of baked dough.
This is a traditional American dessert, although it is believed that it came to the United States from Western Europe. It is especially valued in the state of Pennsylvania.
The recipe for a sweet dish is as follows: dough is prepared in which slices of fresh apples are wrapped. They can be both boiled and baked. Spices (vanilla or cinnamon) are often added for variety. Additionally, you can prepare your favorite cream and stuff dumplings with it.
Apple dumplings are considered a cultural asset of the United States. During the celebration of National Apple Dumpling Day, numerous festivals are held in all states of the United States, where you can try a variety of versions of this sweet dessert.
- Apples are the most popular fruit in the US and are used in many dessert dishes.
- It is believed that the name comes from the German word “dumpf”, which translates as “steam”. Initially, dumplings were cooked in a steam bath.
How to celebrate
There are several ways to celebrate National Apple Dumpling Day.
- Visit city festivals dedicated to this holiday. There you can participate in competitions, meet new people, and try original versions of apple dumplings.
- Make apple dumplings for your family. This is a fairly simple dish. If you want to experiment, then add cream, raisins, vanilla and other ingredients to the recipe that will successfully complement the classic recipe.
- Sign up for workshops on making apple dumplings and other apple-based desserts. Improve your culinary skills!
- Share a post on social networks about this holiday. Tell us your story about how you first tried this dessert and when you started making it yourself.
When is National Apple Dumpling Day celebrated in 2022?
National Apple Dumpling Day is observed on September 17 each year.