Maize Day is celebrated in the US after Thanksgiving. Corn is a real gift of nature! Who will not agree with this? It contains vitamins, fiber, antioxidants… That is why there is a special date on which people get together and admire the plant.
When did corn appear? There is no exact answer. Archaeologists in Mexico City found traces of a plant – the find dates back to 55 thousand years old. In the region of Mexico, evidence was found that the natives inhabiting the region liked to eat corn about 7-12 thousand years ago. It is noteworthy that the ears at that time were small. There were also finds in Peru: Columbus decided to stop here and found grains: later he brought them to Europe.
In the US, corn is the most popular and practically indispensable cereal! Studies show that the average American eats 1,6 kg of popcorn a year – and that’s just dry. If cooked it will turn out to be of enormous value. By the way, the birth date of popcorn is considered to be 1630, when the colonists received a whole bag from the leader Kvodekuan.
- corn kernels burst due to soft starch in the composition and water. The grain heats up, the water begins to boil and breaks through the shell – popcorn is born;
- biologists and researchers are puzzled over where corn originated. One gets the feeling that it was cultivated even before our appearance on earth: the fact is that a plant cannot grow like a wild plant, it bears fruit if a person takes care of it;
- plants can grow up to 7 meters;
- there are not only yellow ears, but also red, black, purple, white, multi-colored;
- corn should be cooked without salt, otherwise it will become too tough.
How to celebrate
On a holiday, it is best to buy corn and cook it according to your favorite recipe! It is used alone or added to various dishes. Experiment in the kitchen: invite your friends to participate. Learn a little more about her story, visit the field and see how she grows.
When is Maize Day celebrated in 2022?
Maize Day is observed on the day after Thanksgiving each year.