International Day of Peace is celebrated every year on September 21st. This is a special day in the calendar, dedicated to peace, goodness and the strengthening of friendship between peoples and nations. Today, news feeds are filled with the theme of war, violence, which is why it is so important to remind people that only peace can create.
International Day of Peace was founded by the UN General Assembly in 1981, the mission of the holiday is to strengthen the ideals of good neighborliness and peace. Initially, the holiday was celebrated every third Tuesday of September, but since 2002 the date has been changed and fixed. Now the whole world annually on September 21 remembers the ideals of peace and goodness. Fortunately, today we are much less likely to die as a result of war than our ancestors, but this needs to be constantly talked about and reminded of. Peace is possible only if all people strive for it.
- Strive to understand, look for common ground, appreciate everything that makes us different and distinguishes us from each other.
- Take part in actions aimed at combating social injustice and poverty.
- Appreciate and respect the rights of every person, remember that we are all equal and every human life is valuable.
- Promote the principles of equality in society, support the rights of women, take part in actions against violence against women and girls.
- Follow democratic principles, every voice must be heard and considered.
How to celebrate
Join the global Minute of Silence on September 21 at noon across all time zones. This creates a wave of peace. Organize your holiday of peace – gather loved ones, friends, colleagues, neighbors and cook dishes from different peoples of the world. One way to strengthen peace is through education. Teach your children the principles of peace, the rules of conflict resolution. Tell us how to have a peaceful dialogue.
When is International Day of Peace in 2022?
International Day of Peace is observed on September 21 each year.