Every year on October 13, International Day for Disaster Reduction is celebrated around the world. For more than 30 years, the UN has been promoting the idea of global awareness of disaster risk and mitigation of the negative impacts of disasters. This holiday celebrates the achievements of mankind in matters of emergency preparedness.
In 1990, the UN decided the need to celebrate the International Day for Disaster Reduction, because this is how you can convey important information about natural disasters to people. Throughout the history of mankind, unforeseen situations of man-made and natural nature take the lives of thousands and hundreds of thousands of people, destroy houses and cities, and destroy infrastructure. But starting in 1989, the UN began to talk about how to prepare for a natural disaster, how to survive in difficult conditions with minimal damage.
As Interesting facts, let us recall the main goals that the UN has set for itself:
- in 2016 and 2017, the target was set to reduce global disaster deaths by 2030 by 100 compared to the period from 2005 to 2015;
- set a target in 2018 to reduce the level of direct economic damage due to the state of emergency by 2030;
- in 2019, the goal was to reduce damage to critical infrastructure due to emergencies by 2030, to reduce the number of disruptions in the provision of essential services, including medical services and educational services;
- in 2020, the goal was to significantly increase the number of countries that have strategies to reduce the risk of disaster;
- in 2021, the goal was to increase cooperation between countries (including developing countries) by 2030 through adequate and ongoing support that will complement national actions aimed at reducing risk in emergencies;
- decided in 2022 to increase the availability and accessibility of special systems by 2030 that provide early warnings for most hazards and can also provide disaster information and assessment to the public.
How to celebrate
On the occasion of the holiday, you need to talk about it as much as possible with friends and strangers on social networks. It is important not to be shy about talking about the UN program, to join discussions on how to reduce the risk of natural disasters.
When is International Day for Disaster Reduction celebrated in 2022?
International Day for Disaster Reduction is observed on October 13 each year.