Every year on October 13, International Day for Disaster Reduction is celebrated around the world. This holiday is dedicated to promoting global awareness of disaster risk and mitigation of the negative impacts of disasters. It also celebrates the achievements of mankind in matters of emergency preparedness.
In 1989, the UN recognized the need to celebrate International Day for Disaster Reduction, as a way to convey important information about natural disasters to people. Throughout history, unexpected situations of both man-made and natural nature have taken the lives of thousands, destroyed homes and cities, and damaged infrastructure.
The UN has set several goals to help reduce the effects of disasters:
- In 2016 and 2017, the target was set to reduce global disaster deaths by 2030 by 100 compared to the period from 2005 to 2015.
- In 2018, the goal was to reduce the level of direct economic damage due to the state of emergency by 2030.
- In 2019, the goal was to reduce damage to critical infrastructure due to emergencies by 2030, and reduce the number of disruptions in the provision of essential services, including medical services and educational services.
- In 2020, the goal was to significantly increase the number of countries that have strategies to reduce the risk of disaster.
- In 2021, the goal was to increase cooperation between countries (including developing countries) by 2030 through adequate and ongoing support that will complement national actions aimed at reducing risk in emergencies.
- In 2022, the goal was to increase the availability and accessibility of special systems by 2030 that provide early warnings for most hazards and can also provide disaster information and assessment to the public.
How to take part
To help celebrate this holiday, share information about it with friends and strangers on social networks. Discuss how to reduce the risk of natural disasters and join discussions on the topic. It is important to spread awareness and help protect people from the effects of disasters.
When is International Day for Disaster Reduction celebrated in 2023?
International Day for Disaster Reduction is observed on October 13 each year.