International Civil Aviation Day is celebrated on December 7, all over the world. It’s a long-awaited holiday for everyone involved in aviation, from pilots and navigators to stewardesses, flight mechanics, dispatchers, and airport employees. So, if you have any friends or family who work in this field, don’t forget to join the celebration!
The holiday has been celebrated since 1994, although the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) officially announced it in 1992. The United Nations General Assembly adopted a resolution regarding the date. Civil aviation plays a big part in our lives today, as without it, we wouldn’t be able to travel around the world or even receive long-awaited parcels. We now have strict safety rules for air transport, but there is still a lot of work to be done to eliminate all kinds of breakdowns and disasters.
Here are some amazing moments from the history of aviation:
- The first commercial flight took place 100 years ago.
- The oldest airline founded in 1919 is Royal Dutch Airlines.
- Places near the wings are less turbulent, so many people tend to take them.
- Airplanes are the second safest form of transportation – the escalator is first.
- The greatest probability of a crash is during takeoff or landing.
- Tail seats are 40% safer than other seats, and there is a much greater chance of survival in a disaster.
- In Saudi Arabia, women are not allowed to drive a car, but they are allowed to pilot a plane.
- Turbulence does not affect crashes – no cases of planes falling due to this factor have been recorded.
- About 80% of people on the planet suffer from aerophobia.
How to take part
If you want to join in the celebration, there are a few ways to do it. Congratulate the people involved in aviation and the sky! Post something nice on social media to show your appreciation for their work. Visit an aircraft museum and chat with its old-timers. Watch films about planes.
When is International Civil Aviation Day celebrated in 2023?
International Civil Aviation Day is observed on December 7 each year.