Sweet and touching Hug Your Sweetheart Day is celebrated on August 23rd. Hopefully you hug your loved ones every day? On this holiday, it is worth considering: do we really show tender feelings often enough and do it sincerely?
It is not known who came up with the idea to celebrate Hug Your Sweetheart Day, but it is beautiful. Hugs are a simple, accessible form of intimacy. Tender hugs testify to love and affection more reliably than any beautiful words, and strengthen trust between lovers.
Hugs as a sign of love and trust have been known since antiquity. You will see spouses embracing or young lovers if you look at antique sculptures or paintings from the Renaissance. The famous Dutch artist Rembrandt van Rijn painted a wonderful self-portrait painting with his wife Saskia sitting on his lap.
It is scientifically established that hugs are not just pleasant, they:
- reduce stress and anxiety by dramatically reducing the level of the “stress” hormone cortisol in the blood;
- help to cope with various fears – the future, incomprehensible, sudden changes, illnesses, loss of control over one’s life, give a sense of security;
- promote muscle relaxation and protect against diseases of the cardiovascular system;
- increase our self-esteem;
- help improve communication. If you often quarrel – you need to hug more often! Non-verbal communication works directly on the senses;
- help keep the family together. In families where spouses often hug, divorces occur less frequently than in families where there is a minimum of physical contact between husband and wife;
- more useful for older couples than for younger ones. In old age, people feel the fear of loneliness more acutely, their well-being worsens. Hugs give confidence and, by saturating people with positive emotions, have a positive effect on somatic health.
How to celebrate
Scientists have found that on average people spend 1 hour per month in hugs. By celebrating Hug Your Sweetheart Day, you can extend this time in August! Make a romantic photo session with hugs, share these photos on social networks with the hashtag #HugYourSweetheartDay.
When is Hug Your Sweetheart Day Celebrated in 2022?
Hug Your Sweetheart Day is devoted to celebrating cheerfulness and fun. It happens annually on August the 23rd.