Father-in-Law Day is a great occasion to improve and strengthen your relationship with your father-in-law. Remember that human life is fleeting and you should not waste time on destructive emotions. Be kinder, more responsive, and communicate more. Behind the harsh appearance, there is a vulnerable soul, thirsty for communication. Do not refuse him a conversation, show him he is important to you.
There are several stories explaining the appearance of this holiday on the calendar. According to one version, in the middle of the 19th century, two monarchs from Europe – Christian IX and Nicholas I – became the first fathers-in-law, since their children connected themselves with family ties with members of foreign royal families. According to another theory, the celebration of Father-in-Law Day was pushed by a company that produces greeting cards. A postcard appeared in their catalog that offered to congratulate your father-in-law.
It turns out among famous people there are many fathers-in-law.
- Wystan Hugh Auden was married to the German writer Erica Mann. After the wedding, the she received a British passport and fled Germany. Accordingly, the German writer Thomas Mann was the father-in-law of Wystan Hugh Auden.
- The famous actor Anthony Quinn married the adopted daughter of the legendary American director and producer Cecil Blount DeMille – Katherine. Their marriage lasted 38 years.
- Famous singer Pat Boone married the daughter of popular country music artist Reed Foley Shirley.
- Kirk Douglas is the father-in-law of actress Catherine Zeta-Jones, because in 2000 she married his son Michael Douglas.
- Elvis Presley was the father-in-law of Michael Jackson and Nicolas Cage. Presley’s daughter, Lisa, was married to the popular singer and the actor, but the marriages ended in divorce.
How to take part
You can go the simplest way and just send your father-in-law a greeting card. Support your father-in-law in his hobby – go fishing with him, cook lunch or dinner together, go for a walk in the park, or go in for sports. Remember, this person raised your soul mate.
When is Father-in-Law Day Celebrated in 2023?
Father-in-Law Day is associated with the anticipation of happiness and joy. It is observed on July the 30th each year.