Cities for Life Day is celebrated around the world on November 30th. The holiday celebrates the abolition of the death penalty. There are many opinions in the world on this subject, but today we are fighting for the life of every person. Join the movement!
The abolition of the death penalty was preceded by an essay by Cesare Beccaria, in which he made it clear that he was against torture and deprivation of the right to exist. In “On Crimes and Punishments” various arguments are given, of which: a person is not a thing, but a person; crimes cause colossal damage to society, threatening its security; punishments have legitimacy if they protect against new tragedies.
His works were translated into various languages, found their admirers and critics, and traveled all over Europe. Beccaria sincerely did not understand how the violent termination of a person’s life is connected with social contracts. He considered the ban on murder and its permission as a punishment dual.
In 1786, Pietro Leopold, the Grand Duke of Tuscany, was the first to abolish the execution on November 30th. Italy became a pioneer in this regard, which surprised and delighted the inhabitants. In the future, it was supported by other states.
- bank robber Mitchell Roop was so fat that he was never hanged in Washington state. A federal court issued a life sentence;
- some countries still use the death penalty as punishment: these are India, China, 27 US states, Indonesia;
- according to many studies, taking the life of a person is much more expensive than keeping him in prison for life;
- 6 out of 10 people in America support an execution;
- The states are in 5th place in terms of the number of performances.
How to celebrate
In Cities for Life Day, read Cesare Beccaria’s essay, highlight interesting points. Get together with friends and discuss the topic, listen to everyone’s opinions and share your thoughts. Many cities organize events such as lighting candles in memory of departed souls. Participate and you!
When is Cities for Life Day celebrated in 2022?
Cities for Life Day is observed on November 30 each year.