Area Code Day is a holiday dedicated to an important system that helps you quickly and easily find a subscriber, contact him by phone, no matter where he is in the world. It is the city code that is needed to convey important information, news. This is especially important when the situation is an emergency.
During the period of industrialization, rapid growth and development of cities, it became necessary to identify each settlement; for this, a special system of codes was developed. With its help, you can determine where the enterprise, organization, private house is located. Of course, the area code system is now less used, as it has been replaced by cell phones and mobile phones.
Such a system is the result of the work of specialists from the AT&T and Bell laboratories, the world first heard about the codes in 1940. However, the concept has changed over time.
- An area code is a unique sequence of digits that a subscriber dials before dialing a specific number.
- By means of a code system in 1947, it was possible to solve the problem of a shortage of telephone numbers in the USA and Canada.
- To facilitate the identification process, each state has its own specific area code.
- The more densely populated the city, the shorter and simpler the code, for example, cities such as Chicago, Los Angeles have a three-digit code.
- There are two types of codes – free, local.
How to celebrate
Call your friend or relative who is in another city. Let this call be unexpected. Say how glad you are to hear the person’s voice. Call school friends you haven’t talked to in a while. If you often have to call to other cities, remember the codes of these settlements. Read about the history of the creation of the code system, explore how it changed and developed. Write about it on social networks, use the hashtag #AreaCodeDay.
When is Area Code Day celebrated in 2022?
Area Code Day is observed on November 10 each year.