If you love meat dishes, World Vegan Day is unlikely to attract you, but if you show a little attention, you will be very surprised at how many people in the world adhere to this principle of nutrition. Once upon a time, vegetarianism began as one of the directions in dietology, but today it is a whole philosophy and way of life. Every vegan will tell you about how pleasant and easy it is to live without violence, cruelty, giving up animal products.
In the middle of the 20th century, members of the Vegetarian Society in Great Britain, Donald Watson and Elise Shrigley, completely excluded meat and animal products from their diet, but the society did not appreciate the innovation. Then Donald and Elise founded the Vegan Society. After 50 years of founding this society, in 1994, its chairman, Louise Wallis, proposed celebrating World Vegan Day on November 1st. The choice of the date seemed ambiguous to many, because on this day they celebrate the Day of the Dead, Calan Gaeaf. Moreover, it is not known exactly when the Vegan Society was founded in 1944. However, the date has not changed and World Vegan Day continues to be celebrated annually on the first day of November.
- The holiday is becoming popular largely thanks to celebrities who adhere to vegetarianism – Zac Effron, Pamela Anderson, Ariana Grande, Natalie Portman, Cameron Diaz, Tom Cruise and many others.
- Many restaurants and cafes join the celebration every year, they offer a special menu, come up with new, interesting recipes.
- The first vegetarian cookbook was published in 1874 by Russell Thatcher Troll.
- Did you know that it takes 2500 gallons of pure water to produce one pound of beef. Veganism saves water.
- Since 2012, Los Angeles has gone meat-free every Monday.
How to celebrate
Try living one day as a vegetarian. It’s simple, as many supermarkets and stores offer plant-based product lines, make sure it’s tasty and healthy. Moreover, even such well-known fast food chains as Burger King, KFC have supplemented their menu with vegetarian dishes. Just try. Tell your friends about the holiday, motivate them to change their diet and try something new, organize a vegan party first. Share your favorite plant-based dishes on social media.
When is World Vegan Day celebrated in 2022?
World Vegan Day is observed on November 1 each year.