Tempranillo Day is an annual holiday celebrated every year on the second Thursday of the last autumn month, in 2022 this day falls on November 10th. This celebration is associated with the temprano grape variety, which is Spanish for early, as it is harvested at the beginning of the season.
The first Tempranillo Day was celebrated in 2011 at the initiative of the Society for the Defenders of Manufacturers and Friends of Tempranillo. The mission of the holiday is to provide wine connoisseurs with the opportunity to enjoy an amazing drink, to increase their awareness of this product and the culture of its use. Thursday was chosen for the celebration, so that restaurants and liquor stores can celebrate this event calmly, without being distracted by the traditional weekend workload. This holiday has since been celebrated by millions of people, who open a bottle of their favorite Spanish wine and enjoy the rich texture and fruity taste.
- Temprano grapes grow in the Iberian Peninsula, and is one of the most popular varieties in Spain and Portugal.
- It is the fourth most popular grape variety, with only international varieties growing in America, France, Argentina, and Chile being more popular.
- Tempranillo wine is aged in oak barrels, giving the taste of the drink a special note.
- Gourmets note that the wine has a perfectly balanced taste, soft character and versatility – it goes well with different dishes.
- It is believed that this wine is older than Jesus himself – on one of the frescoes, dating back to 1100 BC, this Spanish wine is depicted.
How to take part
Celebrate this wonderful day with a glass of your favorite wine – raspberry, plum, cherry, strawberry, whatever. You can also expand your knowledge in the field of winemaking by visiting a winery, seeing how the drink is made, tasting new varieties and updating your personal wine list. Additionally, pairing wine with fruits and cheeses is a great way to experience the flavors of Tempranillo. Spanish wine pairs perfectly with fresh salads, main courses and other light snacks. Organize a party with noble wine and light snacks to celebrate this day!
When is Tempranillo Day celebrated in 2023?
Tempranillo Day is observed on the second Thursday of November each year.