Senior Citizens Day is a celebration of the achievements and contributions to society of older people, designed to pay attention to their problems. They worked in various fields – business, medicine, science, education and other important areas of professional activity. But once retired, many of them face difficulties in everyday life. We must not forget that not all of them are wealthy and are surrounded by the care of children and grandchildren – there are those who suffer from loneliness, poverty, and cruel treatment.
Senior Citizens Day appeared thanks to the idea and initiative of the former US President Ronald Reagan. In 1988, he officially ordered this national day on August 21st. 2 years later, in December 1990, the UN General Assembly made this holiday a World Day. dedicated this day to the celebration of World Day of Older Persons. Since then, every year many families gather to congratulate elderly parents, grandparents.
Reagan himself was 69 years old when he became President of the United States on January 20, 1981.
Part of the US population celebrates Senior Citizens Day on August 14, the day President Franklin Roosevelt signed the Social Security Act in 1935.
How to celebrate
There are many ways to celebrate the holiday:
- Visit elderly relatives, especially those who live alone, spend time with them, give a gift or cook their favorite meal. Help them clean the house or garden. Children can draw postcards for grandparents.
- Organize a beautiful or funny family photo session, help the elderly family members to choose the best or funny outfits for her.
- Congratulate your elderly colleagues, teachers, retired mentors.
- If you are in business, organize a holiday promotion or senior discounts on Senior Citizens Day.
- Visit a local nursing home as a volunteer, congratulate the single pensioners living in it, prepare gifts or entertainment for them.
You can also inform your friends about Senior Citizens Day on social networks.
When is Senior Citizens Day celebrated in 2022?
Senior Citizens Day is observed on August 21 each year.