Scented Candle Day is a holiday that encourages us to take a break, stop and relax. A feast dedicated to aromatic candles, ideal for devoting a whole day to relaxation, meditation, and your favorite spa treatments. On this day, we energize, calm down, harmonize our thoughts and feelings.
Aroma candles have existed for thousands of years, but the exact date of their appearance is unknown, as is the history of their origin. There are historical documents that confirm that already 5 thousand years ago people used scented candles. The ancient Egyptians prepared them from a mixture of cane, which served as a wick, and animal fat, which was an analogue of wax. The Romans made candles by dipping rolled papyrus into melted fat or beeswax. So the first wick appeared.
Many civilizations had their own recipe for making candles. In China, they used rice paper and wax from a mixture of whale oil, insects and seeds. In Japan, wax was prepared from the pulp of nuts, and in India – from the fruits of the cinnamon tree.
- In 1879, candles fell out of favor with the invention of the electric light bulb.
- Later, candles became an element of decor, and in the second half of the 20th century, the first scented candles appeared, they were used for treatment, uplifting, and were presented as gifts.
- Candles were made from animal products, so in times of severe famine, they were eaten.
- The tradition of decorating a cake with candles originated in Ancient Greece, they symbolized the Moon and the Temple of Artemis.
- The leader in the production of scented candles is Poland, the country produces about 38% of the total volume of the product.
How to celebrate
Buy candles with your favorite scent and let yourself relax a little. Try some new flavors, experiment, because each has its own unique effect on a person.
When is Scented Candle Day celebrated in 2022?
Scented Candle Day is observed on November 1 each year.