Roast Dinner Day is celebrated each year on November 4th in the United Kingdom and is an important day for National School Feeding Week. The holiday was founded by the charity Food for Life, its participants get together and eat a roast. The mission of such an event is to show people the importance of joint dinners, to encourage the younger generation to eat healthy food. Today, educational institutions, nursing homes, public organizations join the annual initiative.
Sunday Roast is a tradition that originated in the British Isles, in Yorkshire. We are talking about a dinner that is organized after the church service. Traditionally, after church services, they have a delicious lunch, but in the British Isles the tradition is a little different. It is customary to cook roasts from different types of meat, and dairy products are also used. In the era of industrialization, many families prepared a roast before Sunday church visit, and then the whole family gathered for a joint meal. Today, this tradition has received social as well as religious significance.
- Sunday roast is a relatively new dish, it appeared about a hundred years ago, it was prepared from boiled beef, beans, cabbage.
- Different analogues of the roast were prepared in different eras, for example, in the 15th century, when Henry VII ruled, a meat dish with vegetables was very popular. At that time, the British were very fond of meat, they cooked it in different ways.
- In the 19th century, the British were strongly advised to eat no more than 6,5 pounds of meat per week.
- If at the beginning of the 20th century meat, fried dishes prevailed on the tables of the British, today the situation is changing – vegetarianism and veganism are becoming popular.
- The best accompaniment to beef in Britain is horseradish sauce, which has been served for over 400 years.
- Often, Yorkshire pudding is served at Sunday dinner, it used to be called dripping.
- A traditional side dish for Sunday roast is fried potatoes.
How to celebrate
Organize a Sunday dinner, invite relatives, friends, neighbors. Use local produce that you can buy at the farmers’ market. If you don’t feel like sitting by the stove and wasting time cooking, book a table at a restaurant. The main thing is that the dinner should be held in a warm, friendly atmosphere.
When is Roast Dinner Day celebrated in 2022?
Roast Dinner Day is observed on November 4 each year.