National Vanilla Ice Cream Day is dedicated to the favorite dessert of millions. The traditional recipe involves a minimum of ingredients – cream, sugar, and vanilla. Today, vanilla is added to many types of treats to improve the taste. According to statistics, vanilla ice cream is the most popular in the world. Its taste universal, so you can enjoy it in different ways – put it between cookies, eat it with pancakes and cakes, or add it to coffee.
Since National Vanilla Ice Cream Day is an unofficial holiday, there is no official information about its origin and author. It has been celebrated since 2000. On July 23, millions of people feast on their favorite vanilla-flavored treat. In America, it became popular thanks to Thomas Jefferson. In 1780, he visited France where he tried vanilla ice cream. Returning to America, he made every effort to make the dessert popular there.
- According to statistics, Thomas Jefferson treated every guest to the White House with vanilla ice cream.
- Vanilla is a family of orchids, which has over 25,000 different species. It grows in Central America and the Caribbean.
- Vanilla was used by the Totonanaki living in Mexico and when they were conquered by the Aztecs, the seasoning passed to them. The Aztecs added vanilla to chocolate.
- In Europe, it was used to make chocolate, in drinks like tea and coffee, and also added to ice cream.
- The recipe for the treat is a national treasure and stored in the Library of Congress.
- Sweet recipes appear regularly in various cookbooks. The most popular was written by Hannah Glass and Mary Randolph.
- In 1841, a new method of plant pollination was developed, which helped make it possible to grow vanilla on an industrial scale.
How to take part
Buy vanilla ice cream made according to the classic recipe. You can go to your favorite cafe, buy a treat at a nearby store, or make dessert at home if you have an ice cream maker. By the way, an ice cream maker is a great way to please yourself with a treat at any time, and not just on July 23rd.
When is National Vanilla Ice Cream Day celebrated in 2023?
National Vanilla Ice Cream Day is observed on July 23 each year.