National Toilet Paper Day is celebrated in the USA on August 26th. This is an important holiday! According to one interesting sociological survey that touches on the topic of a desert island and what people will definitely take with them if they find themselves alone in the middle of the ocean, 49% of respondents named 2 most important items: it turned out to be food and toilet paper.
It is not known who came up with the idea of celebrating National Toilet Paper Day on August 26th, but this person certainly felt the importance of this product in modern life! Moreover, it has existed in its current form for quite some time now. In the United States, until 1857, people managed with any paper, until businessman Joseph Gayetti came up with the idea to release these products in packs, cut into square leaves. Each of them was branded with his name. And the Philadelphia company Scott Paper thought of rolls – but only in 1890.
In the 1960s, paper was produced in blues, pinks, and greens to match bathroom designs. Today, colored (and even black) paper is produced by the Portuguese company Renova, and this is an expensive product!
It is difficult to imagine how humanity lived and felt before the invention of this simplest item of daily hygiene, but it skillfully managed with improvised means:
- In ancient Greece, people used stones and clay discs. There was a Greek saying that one pebble is enough for three!
- In ancient Rome, a sea sponge was used on a stick. Then it was rinsed in salty sea water. Or plain with the addition of vinegar.
- Noble Europeans and monarchs used soft fabric – woolen or silk. Commoners used everything that was at hand – unnecessary rags, hay, straw, burdock, moss.
- The inhabitants of the coasts used shells of sufficient size for hygienic purposes. For example, mussels were good.
- The natives of Hawaii used coconut shells.
- The first mention of toilet paper in China dates back to 589 AD. e.
How to celebrate
Celebrate National Toilet Paper Day with humor by hosting a competition for the best toilet paper costume!
When is National Toilet Paper Day celebrated in 2022?
National Toilet Paper Day is observed on August 26 each year.