National Pizza with the Works Except Anchovies Day is celebrated in the USA on November 12th. This holiday is perfect for pizza lovers – after all, who among us can refuse a juicy piece with stretching fragrant cheese? The only exception: no anchovies! This small fish does not go well with the other pizza ingredients. What do you think?
The originator of the National Day is unknown, but that doesn’t stop us from celebrating it in full force! According to some reports, pizza was first cooked in New York’s Little Italy in 1905. The Americans quickly fell in love with the dish, and its popularity soared after World War II. Since then, new recipes and fillings have been developed.
Who started adding anchovies to pizza? This question has puzzled many. Over the years, people have ridiculed the combination, not understanding how anyone could like it. Of course, these are jokes, as everyone has different tastes, but most of them are aimed at such experiments with food.
- More than 500 million pizzas are eaten around the world every day. That doesn’t include home-made pizzas!
- All of Europe agrees that pizza tastes better than pies.
- The most popular filling is spicy pepperoni sausage.
- The perfect pizza cheese is mozzarella.
- The first online ordering service opened in 1993 – Pizza Hut opened its website, allowing customers to order from home.
- In 2001, pizza even made it to space, costing more than $1 million (sponsored by Pizza Hut). Cosmonaut Yuri Usachev enjoyed it.
- Frozen convenience foods that can be reheated in a microwave or oven were introduced in 1962.
- In some Japanese pizzerias, the surprise guests with pizza with a “live” filling – thin slices of fish rise from the steam of hot dough and create a visual impression that the pizza is breathing.
How to take part
Eat your favorite pizza! Find someone who loves anchovies and try to find out why they like the combination. Visit your favorite restaurant or order a dish to take home. Throw a party – just don’t forget about the no-anchovies rule!
When is National Pizza with the Works Except Anchovies Day celebrated in 2023?
National Pizza with the Works Except Anchovies Day is observed on November 12 each year.