National Human Trafficking Awareness Day - January 11
Thu, Jan 11, 2024

National Human Trafficking Awareness Day

National Human Trafficking Awareness Day is an annual American holiday of great importance for the whole society as a whole. It is dedicated to the problem of human trafficking.


This holiday was established by the Senate in 2007. Since then, National Human Trafficking Awareness Day has been celebrated on January 11th. He was warmly received by the society. A large number of people donated funds to events in support of those who fell victim to such a cruel business as human trafficking.

Human trafficking implies their illegal exploitation in violation of personal rights and freedoms. He becomes a bonded person who can be used for work, for sexual purposes, and as an object for experimentation and even obtaining organs on the black market for transplantation.

Human trafficking flourished from the 1400s. It was organized by European invaders who conquered new continents. The slaves were mostly black people who were taken to their colonies, used as free labor. For example, on plantations.

By the early 19th century, states began to recognize human trafficking as a capital crime. However, Africans received full freedom much later. The Emancipation Proclamation, drawn up in 1863, is considered the official document that almost completely eradicated slavery.

Interesting facts

  • In the modern world, about 80% of slaves are used for sexual purposes, the remaining 20% ​​- as labor. The current number of slaves is estimated at 20-30 million people.
  • Human trafficking ranks third in the ranking of the world’s criminal industries, right after drug trafficking and arms trafficking.
  • Human trafficking flourishes among criminal gangs and terrorist organizations.

How to celebrate

Explore more information online about human trafficking on this day. Listen to lectures on the relevant topic. Share information about the holiday on social networks, tell your family and friends.

Remember that the main goal of National Human Trafficking Awareness Day is to raise public awareness about this issue.

When is National Human Trafficking Awareness Day celebrated in 2024?

National Human Trafficking Awareness Day is observed on January 11 each year.


Weekday Month Day Year
Thursday January 11 2024
Saturday January 11 2025
Sunday January 11 2026
Monday January 11 2027