Do you often play golf? If yes, National Golf Lovers Day is made especially for you. What could be better than to take your favorite stick and show on the field that you are capable of a lot! There are a lot of people in America who love the game. The International Federation also does not stand aside, coming up with various events to attract the younger generation.
No one can say exactly when golf was born. One thing is clear – analogues existed before our era. There is evidence that Julius Caesar hit a ball stuffed with a feather with a club-shaped branch. There was a similarity of the game in China in 940 BC. The modern look may have appeared in Scotland in the 15th century. Scientists argue about this point. Stones were used here as a sword, they were driven along improvised paths by a curved structure.
In 1457, golf was banned due to the fact that men spent their free time on the course. The decree was issued by the King of Scotland. The ban was lifted after 50 years, then the game became interested in England and Europe. In the US, the hobby of many people was firmly established in the 17th century, the peak of popularity came in 1920.
Did you know that:
- there were similar games in almost every corner of the planet, it was not possible to reliably find out about the origin;
- The first rules were written in 1687. They were created by medical student Thomas Kinkade. He also introduced the terms – “advantages”, “handicap”;
- each club is assigned a specific number – the angle of the head depends on it;
- initially there were 22 holes on the field, in 1764 their number decreased to 18. It remains so to this day;
- Accuracy is a quality required by players. It is surprising that in 1899 a blind person participated in the game, and the result was quite normal.
How to celebrate
Get together with your friends and go play golf! Compete and take memorable photos! If you have never touched sports before, attend master classes, talk to professionals and follow their advice. Study the history of tournaments – there are many fascinating moments in it.
When is National Golf Lovers Day in 2022?
National Golf Lovers Day is observed on October 4 each year.