National Espresso Day is celebrated in the USA on November 23rd, bringing together coffee lovers from all over the country. The drink has become an integral part of our life and it is not likely to go anywhere! We can’t imagine our mornings without a strong espresso.
National Espresso Day celebrates the invention of Luigi Bezzer, an engineer from Milan, who crafted the world’s first espresso machine, and patented it in 1901. This invention marked the beginning of a whole new era of coffee making. Initially, espresso machines were bulky and expensive, so they were only available in coffee shops, and baristas had to take special courses to learn how to use them. Nowadays, there are modern espresso machines that are available for use in the comfort of your own home.
- The word “espresso” means “squeezed out” in Italian, referring to the pressure used to make the drink.
- It is better to drink espresso after a meal, as it can upset the stomach’s acid balance when drunk before eating.
- The myth that espresso causes insomnia is not true, as long as it is consumed in moderation.
- Espresso lends its flavor to other coffee drinks such as latte, americano and cappuccino.
- Espresso has a low caffeine content, but the invigorating effect of the drink comes from the shock state of the taste buds.
How to take part
Why not take part in National Espresso Day by heading to your local coffee shop and ordering a cup of espresso? You could observe other coffee drinkers and see what they prefer. Treat a friend or a stranger to a cup of espresso – it’s even more special today! Alternatively, you could get your own coffee machine and learn how to use it. You could even invite your neighbors over for breakfast!
When is National Espresso Day celebrated in 2023?
National Espresso Day is observed on November 23 each year.