Celebrate with a frothy, sweet drink made from double espresso, frothed milk and sugar to taste. Enjoy its mild taste in the morning and in the evening as milk neutralizes the effect of nicotine. Cappuccino also goes well with various desserts.
The basis of the drink is espresso coffee. It is prepared from freshly ground grains through which water passes under high pressure, resulting in a small volume of extremely strong coffee with a luxurious aroma and a light, earthy aftertaste. Hot, frothed milk is then added to espresso to create a soft, tasty drink.
Legend has it that the first cappuccino was prepared in the 17th century by the monk Marco d’Aviano. Historians believe that the authors of the drink were the Capuchin monks of the Catholic Church, and at the same time a similar drink began to be served in Vienna.
- In Vienna, the drink was called capusiner, it was prepared from strong coffee, cream and sugar.
- The name cappuccino is a reference to the clothes worn by the Capuchin monks in the 17th century, a dark brown dress with a hood.
- In 1901, the first patent for an espresso machine was registered, belonging to an inventor from Italy, Luigi Bezzera. However, the car was very large, so only some restaurants could use it.
- Advanced espresso machines appeared during World War II.
- In America, cappuccino became popular largely thanks to the Starbucks coffee chain.
- So far, no organization or company has claimed authorship and rights to National Cappuccino Day.
How to take part
Gather your friends and visit different coffee shops in your city, making a cappuccino rating. Invest in an espresso machine from a hardware store so you can prepare a delicious, fresh drink every day. Feel like a barista and prepare cappuccino with different recipes, such as adding cinnamon, sweet syrup or other ingredients. Try other espresso-based drinks such as macchiato, latte, and flat white.
When is National Cappuccino Day celebrated in 2023?
National Cappuccino Day is observed on November 8 each year.