National Bundt Day is celebrated on November 15th in the United States and honors the delicious cake that has been a favorite of many Americans. The unique shape of the dessert has been an invitation to try it, and today is your chance to join the celebration!
The famous Bundt cake was invented by Nordic Ware, who introduced a brand new type of pan with the same name. In 1966, Ella Helfrich from Houston entered a Pillsbury competition and used a Bundt pan to create a chocolate-biscuit ring generously drizzled with chocolate. After that, the company received 200 requests for the same pan. National Bundt Day was first celebrated by the public in 2016, marking 60 years of Bundt cakes!
As a filling, icing and powdered sugar are typically used. The dessert is usually served without any decorations, but many chefs enjoy getting creative with decorations. Chefs have learned how to bake colorful cakes with the most unique designs – just take a look at the photos online!
Did you know that Bundt:
- Is not only popular in the USA, but is also baked around the world for special occasions?
- Was first mentioned in the New Good Housekeeping Cookbook, which had a large circulation?
- The dough is poured into the pan to fill it only a third of the way, so that when it is lifted, it does not go beyond the edges?
- Should not be taken out of the oven when it is hot, but should cool before removal?
- The Nordic Ware brand still exists today, producing various shapes and kitchen appliances?
How to take part
Head to the nearest café for a Bundt cake prepared by the chef. This is an excellent way to replicate the recipe at home. Gather the necessary ingredients and get baking! Involve your loved ones in the process – it’s more fun that way!
When is National Bundt Day celebrated in 2023?
National Bundt Day is observed on November 15 each year.