National Book Month is an annual celebration of books and reading marked in October each year. Established in 2003 by the US National Book Foundation, National Book Month is a great opportunity to celebrate the joy and power of literature. With the change in temperature and inclement weather outside, October is the perfect time to snuggle up with a good book.
National Book Month was founded in 2003 by the US National Book Foundation. October is marked by many events and activities, the most significant of which is the National Book Awards, honoring distinguished authors of the country. Every year, the number of participants in this event grows, making it truly remarkable.
Reading has many benefits:
- It can reduce stress, acting as a sort of antidepressant that takes your mind away from the troubles of the day;
- It can increase your knowledge, even by reading fiction;
- It can train your memory and expand your vocabulary;
- It is a great hobby, with a seemingly endless range of books and genres;
- It can maintain physical health by providing brain gymnastics;
- It can really affect your life, inspiring you to think differently.
Furthermore, the Guinness Book of Records is the highest-selling book ever, having been translated into 52 languages worldwide.
How to take part
There are lots of ways to take part in National Book Month. Pick up a new book or re-read an old one that you haven’t fully understood. If you have a small library, why not give it a good clean and dust off the shelves? Use the #NationalBookMonth hashtag on social media and share your favourite books with your friends.
When is National Book Month in 2023?
National Book Month is observed on October 1 each year.