National Banana Lovers Day is a real holiday for everyone who loves a sweet, fragrant and incredibly popular and healthy fruit. Bananas saturate our body with vitamins of groups B, PP and C, potassium, silicon, calcium and magnesium. They improve digestion, normalize heartbeat and blood pressure, calm the nervous system, thanks to the participation of silicon in the synthesis of collagen, banana lovers have elastic skin and excellent hair.
It is not known who came up with the idea to celebrate National Banana Lovers Day on August 27th.
What you need to know about bananas this holiday:
- The word “banana” in one of the African languages means “finger”.
- The first bananas were brought to the United States in 1870 by Cape Cod captain Lorenzo Doe Baker. He imported 160 bunches of bananas from Jamaica to Jersey City, New Jersey.
- Baker brought Gros Michel, but today we don’t eat it – it was completely destroyed by the “Panamanian disease” (fungal infection). In the United States, the Cavendish variety is used, which has proven to be resistant to Panama disease.
- By 1910 bananas were so popular in the US that banana peels became a problem. Banana eaters threw it right on the streets, passers-by slipped and injured themselves. The authorities of St. Louis even issued a special ordinance in 1910 prohibiting the discarding of banana peels on the streets. Until the sanitary services took over the disposal, she was picked up by the Boy Scouts.
- The term “banana republic” (a weak state whose economy exists due to banana exports) was coined by the American writer O. Henry.
- The main importer of bananas in the United States, the United Fruit Company, later called Chiquita, sought to make the banana the most popular. In the 1950s, the company published cookbooks that suggested using a banana as both a fruit and a vegetable: some of the recipes looked strange. Banana soup, banana roll with ham! But today there is also banana vodka, Jufran banana ketchup, banana chips and bread.
How to celebrate
Celebrate National Banana Lovers Day deliciously: buy bananas or make your favorite dessert out of them. Treat family and friends.
When is National Banana Lovers Day celebrated in 2022?
National Banana Lovers Day is observed on August 27 each year.