The origins of Name Your Poison Day are currently unknown. The phrase “name your poison” typically refers to what a bartender would tell you when you are ordering an alcoholic beverage. Alternatively, many people say the phrase when asking someone to choose between a series of options. In the phrase “name your poison”, a poison could refer to a variety of different things that people use on a regular basis. For example, alcohol, drugs, coffee, and unhealthy foods could all be different poisons that a person could name as their poison.
Celebrate this weird holiday by listening to some music by the band Poison. Indulge yourself in your unhealthy addiction, in honor of Name Your Poison Day. Wish your friends and family a “Happy Name Your Poison Day!”. Buy some rat poison and take care of the rat infestation you may have under your house. Regardless of how you spend your day, try not to beat around the bush, and just make a decision!
Name Your Poison Day Fun Facts
- The most common time for childhood poisonings to occur is around dinnertime. In fact, it is so common that poison control centers have nicknamed this time of day “the arsenic hour”.
- The Golden Poison Dart Frog is the most toxic poison dart frog. One gram of its secretions can kill 1,000 adult humans.
- There is no such thing as a poisonous spider, but all spiders are venomous.
- The majority of poisonings in the United States are caused by overdosing on drugs.
- Approximately 90% of poisonings occur at home.
- Children 6-years-old and younger are the most vulnerable to becoming poisoned.
- It is possible to become poisoned through ingestion, inhalation, through the eyes, through the skin, or through stings or bites.
- The most common substances that are reported to poison children under 6-years-old are cosmetics/personal care products.
- Pain relievers are the most common substance that poisons adults 20-years-old and above.
- The least common age range to become poisoned is between 6-years-old and 12-years-old.
Name Your Poison Day Jokes
- Joe was dying. His wife, Jane, sat at the bedside. Joe looked up and said in a weak voice, “I have something I must confess to you.” His wife replied, “You don’t need to”. Joe insisted, “No, I want to rest in peace. I slept with your sister, your best friend, her best friend, and your mother”. Jane replied, “I know. Now just close your eyes and let the poison work”.
- A woman walks into a drugstore and asks the pharmacist for arsenic. The druggist asks the woman why she wants arsenic. The woman replies, “I want the arsenic to kill my husband”. The pharmacist replies, “Ma’am I can’t sell you arsenic for that purpose!”. The woman reaches into her purse and shows the pharmacist a photo of her husband having sex with the druggist’s wife! He says, “That’s different! I didn’t know that you had a prescription!”.
- A farmer had severe stomach pains and was taken to the emergency room. The doctor discovered that he had ingested pesticide. However, the doctor noticed that the amount of poison was too small to be suicidal. The doctor asked the farmer why he did what he did. The farmer responded, “I accidentally swallowed a fly. I wanted to kill it before it reproduced in me”.
Name Your Poison Day Quotes
- “Politics are very much like war. We may even have to use poison gas at times”. Winston Churchill
- “[sings] If you don’t name your poison, I’ll have to get the boys in, the spirit of adventure opens one’s eyes. If you don’t name your poison, I’ll have to get the boys in, and you’ll never see another tequila sunrise!”. Christopher Lee as Mr. Midnight (The Return of Captain Invincible )
- “There is nothing more dreadful than the habit of doubt. Doubt separates people. It is a poison that disintegrates friendships and breaks up pleasant relations. It is a thorn that irritates and hurts; it is a sword that kills”. Buddha
Name Your Poison Day Destinations
- Go to your favorite bar, and “name your poison”… Just get wasted (responsibly).
- Go to the gas station and choose your favorite type of cigarette or cigar.
- If marijuana is your thing, and it’s illegal where you live, drive to Colorado or Washington and light it up.
- Go to Starbucks or your favorite coffee shop and order your favorite type of caffeinated drink.
- Go to your favorite restaurant, and pick your favorite meal from the menu no matter how expensive or unhealthy it is. Today’s your free pass!
Alternative titles for this holiday include: National Name Your Poison Day, International Name Your Poison Day, Pick Your Poison Day, National Pick Your Poison Day, International Pick Your Poison Day, Choose Your Poison Day, National Choose Your Poison Day, and International Choose Your Poison Day.
When is Name Your Poison Day in 2024?
Name Your Poison Day is observed on June 8 each year.