Jellyfish Day - November 3
Thu, Nov 3, 2022

Jellyfish Day

Jellyfish Day is a holiday dedicated to the mysterious and unusual invertebrate marine life. It is celebrated on November 3 every year. This creature is not a fish, then what is it? Today is a great occasion to learn more about a marine animal.


Jellyfish are a class of invertebrate marine animals that have existed on the planet even longer than dinosaurs and, unlike them, have survived cataclysms. Scientists have proven that jellyfish appeared 500 million years ago, at first the version was put forward as a hypothesis, but in 2007 it was confirmed by studying fossils found in Utah. The age of the find was 505 million years.

Jellyfish have always been perceived by scientists and ordinary people as something unusual and special. The bodies of animals are translucent, tentacles of different lengths, as well as the absolute absence of any organs – such characteristics were surprising, confusing. Even scientists could not classify these creatures, because only people, animals, plants were known.

Interesting Facts

  • For a long time it was not possible to study jellyfish in detail, and scientists did not classify them in any way, when a microscope appeared, the situation changed and specialists returned to studying the creatures again.
  • In 1866, the zoologist Ernst Haeckel published the book General Morphology of Organisms, which demonstrated in detail the evolution of animals, including jellyfish.
  • According to Haeckel, jellyfish separated into a separate class at an early stage in the development of life on the planet, which is why they are very different from other species.
  • Jellyfish need a minimal amount of oxygen to breathe, so they are distinguished by their ability to survive. In addition, jellyfish reproduce rapidly and also shrink in size when they lack food.
  • 95% of the body of a jellyfish is water, the remaining 5% is a special substance of mesoglea, which consists of nerves, muscles, protein.
  • Jellyfish are beautiful, it’s hard to argue with that, they come in different colors, they glow, but do not lose vigilance, many species are poisonous.

How to celebrate

Our information space is filled with a huge amount of information about jellyfish – films, books, articles, read and watch, learn more about these creatures. A great way to celebrate the holiday is to visit the aquarium. It is better to do this with a family or a company.

When is Jellyfish Day celebrated in 2022?

Jellyfish Day is observed on November 3 each year.


Weekday Month Day Year
Thursday November 3 2022
Friday November 3 2023
Sunday November 3 2024
Monday November 3 2025
Tuesday November 3 2026