Slugs Return From Capistrano Day
Slugs Return From Capistrano Day is a comic, unofficial holiday. Every year, people arrange holidays in honor of the birds returning from warm lands. Why not have a feast in honor of the slugs?
Tom and Ruth Roy from Wellcat came up with this holiday. The couple became famous for organizing funny holidays. They did it for fun and pleasure. Slugs Return From Capistrano Day appeared in the calendar thanks to them.
It is believed that on March 19, swallows fly to La Mission de San Capistrano for the winter. Before then, the slugs are in danger of being eaten by the hungry birds. On March 19, they start returning to gardens. They’re very slow and can take up to 2 months to arrive. May 28, 2 months after March 19, was chosen for the holiday.
This is worth knowing:
- Small numbers of slugs are good for gardens, but a large number can kill plants.
- The first slugs appeared 150 million years ago.
- Each day, a slug eats several times its own weight in food.
- Slugs can be very large. The Black Hare slug reaches 40 inches in length and weighs up to 30 pounds.
- They can live from 1 to 6 years.
How to take part
You can have some fun on this day. It’s also worth studying slugs, to find out what harm they can do to plants. Treat garden plants against pests.
When is Slugs Return From Capistrano Day celebrated in 2022?
Slugs Return From Capistrano Day is observed on May 28 each year.