- This event has passed.
July 29, 2022
Rain Day was established in honor of a phenomenon people worshiped and glorified. People depended on rain – moisture let plants grow and ended droughts. Rain is incredibly important for the planet – moisture is necessary to keep its surface green, blooming, and fertile.
Rain Day was first celebrated in the 19th century on the initiative of pharmacist William Ellison. His pharmacy was on High Street in Waynesburg, Pennsylvania. William noticed it rains every year on July 29, so he decided to keep a record it. This tradition was continued by his son, Albert Ellison.
The event might have been lost to history if reporter John O’Hara hadn’t started sending articles about Rain Day to other outlets around the country and even around the world. Thanks to this, the holiday has spread around the world, and many publications still call Waynesburg on July 29 to find out if it’s a rainy day or not.
Why should we love the rain
- Rain Day is designed to make each of us think why we should love rain. Even if you live in a region where rainy weather is more common, you should still love the rain. Be grateful for nature’s gift.
- Farmers need water to get a rich harvest.
- The noise of the drops soothes and relaxes. Many people suffering from insomnia simply turn on the sound of rain and it helps them fall asleep.
- A rainy day is a great occasion to stay under a warm blanket, in a cozy atmosphere.
- Is it damp and grey outside? Show off your bright waterproof clothing.
- Rain is an important part of the water cycle in nature and all life on the planet.
How to take part
If you were lucky and it started to rain on July 29, walk in it and feel the freshness that fills the air. Walk through the puddles. Romantics can dance or even sing in the rain. If there is no rain, go to a water park or pool, and eat more fresh herbs, fruits, and vegetables. Think about how lucky we are to live in a world where there is sun, rain, rainbows, and vegetation, and we have the unique opportunity to eat fresh food every day.
When is Rain Day celebrated in 2022?
Rain Day is observed on July 29 each year.