- This event has passed.
National Wine and Cheese Day
July 25, 2022
National Wine and Cheese Day is a great occasion to enjoy a noble drink and a sumptuous snack. It’s nice to realize that July 25 is a holiday dedicated to this amazing combination, known since ancient times. So, stock up on exquisite glasses, a special cheese knife and a good mood.
There is no exact information about by who and when this holiday was invented, but there is enough information about the origin of wine and cheese in the history of mankind. Wine appeared in Ancient China approximately around 7-5 thousand BC. The drink was discovered in Persia and in Sicily. Cheese appeared earlier – about 12 thousand years ago, and some sources even indicate an older date. According to one version, the first cheese was formed in the stomach of an animal as a result of mixing milk and gastric juice.
- The first varieties of wines were made from rice or a mixture of rice and grapes, then fermented.
- The leading producers of the best varieties of wine are France, Italy, and Spain. The USA is also included in this list. The top ten world exporters also include Germany, Argentina, and South Africa.
- Most of the wine in America is produced in the states of California and New York.
- It takes about 10 pounds of milk to make 1 pound of cheese.
- In America, there are some types of cheese that are banned from sale for safety reasons. These are Reblochon, Brie de Meaux, and also Balance.
- 25% of all cheese comes from Wisconsin.
How to take part
Start the day by choosing your favorite wine and cheese, and be sure to throw a party. Of course, you can enjoy an exquisite time alone, but in the company of friends it is much more pleasant. Share the holiday on social media using the #NationalWineAndCheeseDay hashtag.
When is National Wine and Cheese Day Celebrated in 2018?
National Wine and Cheese Day is associated with the anticipation of happiness and joy. It is observed on July the 25th each year.