National Tequila Day
National Tequila Day is a day dedicated to one of the most popular drinks in America, which is traditionally made from blue agave. Each of us has 24 hours, which is almost 86.5 thousand seconds, to learn as much as possible about this drink. But we strongly recommend that you do not devote all this time to drinking alcohol. Believe me, this day can and should be spent with much greater benefit.
The forerunner of tequila is a drink from the agave plant, it was called pulque, it had a milky, frothy texture. It was first prepared around 1000 BC. on the territory of modern Mexico, it was here that the indigenous tribes learned to collect and then ferment the plant. The drink that we all know as tequila first appeared only in the 16th century in an area that was called Tequila until the middle of the 17th century.
On an industrial scale, the drink began to be produced about 70 years ago, in the state of Jalisco. The factory was opened by the Spanish aristocrat Don Pedro Sanchez de Tagle. But the most popular and successful brand, Vino Mezcal de Tequila de Jose Cuervo, was founded in 1795.
- In America, National Tequila Day is celebrated every year on July 24, and in Mexico, the third Saturday in March is dedicated to the drink.
- For the preparation of tequila, a plant is used that grows from 8 to 12 years.
- Not every tequila is made from agave, for example, Sotol uses a different plant that has a milder taste with nutty notes.
- America is the largest exporter of tequila in the world.
- To harvest agave, Americans use a special sharp knife – a machete called Coa de Jima, respectively, the farmers who work with it are Jimadors.
Obviously, National Tequila Day is all about enjoying this drink, but within the law, of course. There are many types of tequila, make your own personal map – TOP 5 of the best, in your opinion. Pay attention to the special offers of pubs and restaurants – many offer promotions for tequila on a holiday. Come up with a new tequila cocktail recipe.
When is National Tequila Day celebrated in 2022?
National Tequila Day is observed on July 24 each year.