- This event has passed.
National Scotch Day
July 27, 2022
National Scotch Day is celebrated on July 27, dedicated to the man’s drink – Scotch whiskey. This iconic, distinctive drink is made from fermented barley malt, and aged in oak barrels for at least 3 years. The minimum allowable strength of the drink is 94.8%. Some manufacturers do not adhere to tradition and add other grains. Scotch is a Scottish drink, but you can enjoy your favorite taste in any country, while wearing a kilt is not necessary.
Whiskey production began in the 15th century, and by the 17th century it had become so popular, Parliament decided to impose taxes on its sale. In 1823, the Excise Act was passed as the amount of smuggling and illegal production increased dramatically. The legislative act regulated the distillation procedure, and also determined the amount of the license fee – 10 pounds sterling. Thus, scotch became more reliable and of higher quality, since its production was strictly regulated.
Interesting facts about scotch
- The country receives £125 every second from the sale of Scotch whiskey.
- For export, Scotland annually produces about a hundred million cases of whiskey each year. Thus, 40 bottles of scotch are exported every second.
- Every second, about 20 million barrels of scotch are aged in the country.
- From the Gaelic language, the word whiskey means – water of life.
- For only three years in Scottish history, scotch was not produced due to a poor barley crop, from 1757 to 1760.
How to take part
Enjoy your favorite drink in good company. Do not be stingy and buy a bottle of quality scotch so that the taste and aroma will not disappoint. You can also visit a bar with friends. If possible, visit a whiskey distelllery, many companies hold promotions.
When is National Scotch Day celebrated in 2022?
National Scotch Day is observed on July 27 each year.