Festivus is not a joke holiday, as it seems at first glance. Every year he becomes more popular and breaks records in the number of fans supporting him in the United States. If you live in another country, tell others about it and join the celebrations!
The date is a great alternative to Christmas. At the end of the year, we spend a large budget… It is scary to count the money intended for gifts, but there are other expenses besides this. Do you feel the pressure of society and stereotypes? Dive into the Festivus!
The holiday was founded by the American writer Daniel O’Keefe, but the date was popularized by his son Dan. The guy planted it in an episode of Seinfeld called “The Strike,” which aired in 1997. He did not stop there: in 2005, a book was published entirely dedicated to the unique evening.
- Festivus was originally conceived in honor of the first date with his future wife Daniela. The man admitted that the idea just occurred to him;
- the date has been celebrated by the writer’s family since 1966 – on the table that day, turkey and ham were sure to appear;
- it is believed that it is necessary to throw out the discontent and disappointments that occurred in the outgoing year;
- Dan considered for a long time whether to include the holiday in the episode or not;
- the crew working on the episode regretted not calling it something else.
How to celebrate
Watch the series in its entirety or pay attention to individual passages. Especially interesting if you’ve never seen it. Repeat the rituals shown in the picture – have fun with friends or family. Gather a council and invent your own traditions – write them down on a beautiful piece of paper! Discuss the film on social networks and promote it so that as many people as possible know about it.
When is Festivus celebrated in 2022?
Festivus is observed on December 23 each year.