Drinks-Giving is celebrated on Thanksgiving night in the US. Friends all over the country gather to enjoy drinks and have fun together. It is important to remember to drink responsibly and know your limits.
Alcohol has been part of human history for thousands of years. Scientists believe that the first taste of ethyl alcohol may have been in the Neolithic era – about 12 thousand years ago. Finds of ancient vessels date back to 8000 years ago in China, which showed signs of fermentation. Winemaking was born in the mountain valleys of Transcaucasia. The oldest wine in the world was found in Iran in a vessel with dry remains. The oldest brewery was discovered in Israel, with evidence of beer-brewing more than 10,000 years ago. In 2100 BC, alcohol was used as a medicine as stated in Egyptian writings.
- Alcohol is not digested by the body, but is instantly absorbed into the blood.
- People with blue eyes are more likely to drink.
- The strongest beer in the world has 67.5% alcohol.
- Most vegetables and fruits contain alcohol.
- Sonoselicaphobia is the fear of an empty glass.
- According to some historical records, the Vikings drank from the skulls of enemies.
- The Czech Republic consumes the most beer.
- Hitler is the most famous teetotaler in the world.
- Pythagoras invented a unique wine mug, which is now sold in souvenir shops.
How to take part
To join in the festivities, visit the city where you were born and invite your friends to a local cafe to reminisce. You can also organize a party and prepare various cocktails – there are plenty of recipes to choose from. To make it more fun, you can also organize some contests.
When is DrinksGiving celebrated in 2023?
DrinksGiving is observed on the night before Thanksgiving each year.