Without Art Day is celebrated on December 1 all over the world. The holiday coincides with World AIDS Day – this is no coincidence. Today, creative associations, exhibitions, art institutions are moving away from their usual days, focusing on supporting sick people. If you are also not indifferent – join us!
The date was first celebrated in 1989. The idea belonged to the art organization Visual AIDS. Their initiative received wide public support! The familiar world on this day was full of informational posters, memorials in memory of people who died from the disease, and all-round support. People gathered to talk about current issues, to honor all those involved in the movement, to help institutions involved in drug discovery and patient care.
Prior to the start of Visual AIDS, Americans were removed from the problem: some did not know anything about the disease, others heard something, but became victims of disinformation. More than 30 years have passed, but there are still people who do not fully understand the issues or believe in myths. It’s great that Without Art Day is celebrated to this day, attracting attention!
Notable points about AIDS:
- the first confirmed case of infection was recorded in 1959. True, the study took place already in modern times on a tissue sample from a person from the Congo;
- the virus is very insidious and cruel – it penetrates the blood, “hides” in sugar carbohydrate molecules. The body at this moment does not suspect that a terrible thing has happened, considering the virus as a nutrient;
- not a single person is protected from the virus, but at least 2 different adaptations have been found. Research is underway;
- about 1000 women are infected daily, the biggest risk in Africa;
- through joint efforts, the cost of treatment is gradually reduced and becomes more affordable.
How to celebrate
Find out what events are taking place in your city and take part in them! Prepare your poster and show the world. This is easy to do electronically: post it on social networks. Support sick people not only today, but any other day of the year!
When is Day Without Art celebrated in 2022?
Day Without Art is observed on December 1 each year.