World Ballet Day is a wonderful holiday dedicated to the graceful, amazing and dramatic art. It cannot be confused with other species – here each gesture reflects a certain message and emotions, and the body becomes a real animated sculpture. It is celebrated annually on October 1 and is a special occasion to emphasize the existence of a beloved dance.
The first World Ballet Day was celebrated in 2014. Historians believe that the birthplace of ballet is France and Italy during the Renaissance. It was not as bright as in modern art: there were no usual costumes, tutus, ballet flats, and the dancers performed in ordinary courtyards. Interestingly, the audience joined the dance, thereby becoming part of the performance.
Time passed and ballet was adopted by cultures all over the world. Magic dance rose to new artistic heights and fell in love with more and more people. Now it has a modern form that can penetrate the soul of every person.
It is noteworthy that:
- during the first centuries, the dancers were men, and only in 1681 did a ballerina appear (according to some sources, there are still more men in the region, including directors and choreographers);
- the most famous performance is “Swan Lake”, which tells about the beautiful Odette, turned into a swan by an evil sorcerer;
- the approximate time for creating a pack is several days, about 15 meters of tulle is used;
- some countries ban ballet. So, in 2001 there was a complete ban in Turkmenistan;
- pointe shoes are worn far from the first lesson – the dancer’s technique must be perfected in order to exclude injury;
- Louis XIV was passionate about art, his teacher was Pierre Beauchamp, the famous choreographer.
How to celebrate
The best way to celebrate the holiday is to go to the ballet. Find out in which theaters the next screenings will be and buy a ticket! If you yourself want to touch the craftsmanship, visit master classes and make your dream come true. Follow ballet experts on social networks, ask questions, participate in discussions.
When is World Ballet Day in 2022?
World Ballet Day is observed on October 1 each year.