Walt Disney Day is celebrated in America on the first Monday of December. Today, not only the United States, but the whole world is honoring the great man who presented his favorite cartoons and memorable characters. He had a busy life, with its difficulties and joys. Let’s tell you more!
Walter Elias Disney was born in 1901 to a teacher and carpenter. When the boy was 4 years old, they moved to Missouri, where they got a farm. Walter wanted to draw, but his parents could not buy him pencils due to lack of money: the boy drew with a stick and resin. Once, on a piece of paper, he drew a picture of a horse at the request of his neighbor – that day he earned 25 cents.
By the age of seven, Disney was selling his first comics, participating in the creation of school newspapers, and attending cartoonist courses. The people around saw that Walt had good abilities! By the age of 10, the family moved to Kansas City to earn more money. They settled near a huge mansion. Disney vowed to himself that when he grew up, he would buy a similar castle. A dream come true after 40 years!
When Walt grew up, the idea of creating cartoons did not leave him. With brother Roy, they rented a garage and collected everything they needed in it. From that moment a new era began. October 16, 1923 is the official date of the creation of the company, which still pleases people from all over the world.
Did you know:
- Walt’s father was a real tyrant: the guy ran away from home at the age of 16 and got a job at the Red Cross, where he acted as a driver;
- initially, Disney lived and worked with his brother’s money;
- married in 1925, wife also shared husband’s work;
- many people around said that Disney was terribly afraid of mice, although it was Mickey Mouse who brought unprecedented fame;
- for some period he worked for the state, creating paintings on government orders.
How to celebrate
We are sure that you have watched Disney cartoons dozens of times. It’s time to revisit your favorite or find a fresh one! Prepare delicious snacks and plunge into childhood. Invite your friends and share a pleasant evening with them.
When is Walt Disney Day celebrated in 2022?
Walt Disney Day is observed on the first Monday of December each year.