The Preakness Stakes is a very significant event in equestrian sports. It is the 2nd stage of the famous Triple Crown Race, intended for elite three-year-old horses only.
Competitions were held for the first time in 1873. Pimlico Racecourse was used then and is still in use today. The Preakness Stakes was named in honor of the stallion that won in 1873. Up to 14 elite horses take part in the competition. The winner receives the famous Woodlawn Vase, as well as a significant cash reward.
As already mentioned, Preakness Stakes is the second stage of the famous Triple Crown Race. The 1st stage is the Kentucky Derby. The last one is the Belmont Stakes. Among the three stages, the Preakness Stakes is the second most popular – they lost the first place to the first stage. The event is characterized by great pomp and opulence. It is attended by many fans of equestrian sports, various politicians, entrepreneurs, actors, and other wealthy people.
Some interesting facts about the event:
- The vase that the winner receives was created in 1860 by Tiffany and Company.
- Event has its own cocktail – the Black-eyed Susan.
- When all the participants are known, people begin to make numerous bets. These bets amount to millions of dollars.
- The Preakness Stakes is a whole week of celebrations.
How can you take part?
If you cannot attend the event, you can do the following:
- Bet on a horse.
- Make a Black-Eyed Susan at home to enjoy while watching the race online. Recipe: Bulleit Bourbon, Peach Schnapps Liqueur, Ketel One Vodka, orange juice, sour mix.
- Hold a social media flash mob, write about the best horses, use the appropriate hashtags.
When is Preakness Stakes celebrated in 2023?