National Sewing Month is a time when everyone should remember the skill that allows you to look stylish, elegant, and decorate the house. With a needle, thread, and a piece of fabric, we can create things of extraordinary beauty and comfort all year round. September is the time to take a needle and start sewing for yourself and your friends.
The event appeared in the calendar of events thanks to the initiative www.nationalsewingmonth.org. This art covers a huge number of areas – simple sewing, embroidery, and applique, while each nationality and culture brings something of its own – patterns, ornaments, and types of seams. For American culture, sewing is of great importance; the people of America undoubtedly recognize the significance of this art. That is why President Ronald Reagan declared September Sewing Month in 1982.
- Despite the fact a sewing machine appeared in the 19th century, hand sewing is still appreciated by designers and many housewives.
- It is impossible to list all the types of fabrics used for sewing today; among them there are both natural and artificial materials.
- The most modern type of sewing is computer sewing, allowing you to create unique, complex patterns, make original seams, and transfer patterns to fabric.
- For the first time, people began to sew around 25,000 BC, during the era of the Upper Paleolithic. Our ancestors sewed clothes and housing from animal skins. Animal bones were used as needles.
- The first sewing machine was invented in 1750 by Thomas Saint. A hundred years later it was improved by Isaac Singer.
- For many, sewing is a hobby, and for some, hand-sewn exclusive clothing is a status symbol.
How to take part
If you’re a sewer, September is a great time to add a cozy shawl or elegant skirt to your wardrobe. You can also try to sew a writer’s handbag or a patchwork quilt. A great way to celebrate National Sewing Month is to work with your daughter to make some outfits for her doll. If there are those who love to sew around you, make a themed gift.
When is National Sewing Month celebrated in 2022?
National Sewing Month is observed on September 1 each year.