Transgender Day of Remembrance is celebrated on November 20 in the United States. This is a sad day when society honors the memory of people who have faced discrimination, humiliation, ridicule, and even death because of being transgender. Surprisingly, there are now many organizations in the world to regulate problems, public awareness, but many refuse to accept people for who they are.
The holiday was founded in 1999 in honor of the girl Rita Hester, who became a victim of transphobic violence. Her body was found near her home in Massachusetts. The police noted traces of stab wounds to the chest. The motives at that time remained unclear – the killer did not take the expensive jewelry worn by Rita. Society without words understands what caused the death of the girl – in 1998 a march of memory was held, 250 people took part.
Data proposes to fight for the rights of people, methodically guiding society along the path of goodness. There is a huge amount of work ahead, but activists hope that the day will come when people will live side by side in harmony, without dividing society into right and wrong. The main thing is that everyone should hear this call!
Did you know:
- transgender people serve in the army, their number in the United States is almost 1,5 million people in 2016. An estimated 10% of the people of the community have repaid their debt to the country;
- in Australia, a sex reassignment operation was performed on a 4-year-old child;
- German singer Kim Petras changed gender at the age of 16;
- about 80% of people feel free after the transition, but they continue to hide their past in order to protect themselves from discrimination;
- the first transgender operation took place in 1930, but the patient did not survive due to rejection of new organs.
How to celebrate
Find out about events in the city and get involved. Be tolerant, encourage others to follow this example. Make a donation to organizations that support the cause.
When is National Peanut Butter Fudge Day celebrated in 2022?
National Peanut Butter Fudge Day is observed on November 20 each year.