October 13th is National M&M Day. On this day, adults and children should definitely please themselves with delicious M&M’s sweets. Many from childhood are familiar with such slogans as “It melts in the mouth, not in the hands” and “Look for the letter “M” on every candy”, and this is not surprising – the delicacies loved by many first appeared back in 1941.
Forrest M. Mars, the son of the founder of the Mars campaign, decided to cover small chocolate chunks with multi-colored icing and named his treat M&M’s. This unusual name is due to the fact that Mars collaborated with the son of Hershey CEO Bruce Murrie, and literally it stands for “Mars & Murrie’s”. It was thanks to cooperation that it was possible to ensure a stable supply of products during the Second World War. Sweets were used as a military ration for soldiers, and very convenient, because the dragees did not melt in their hands.
The famous “M” of the brand’s sweets was received only in the 1950s, after which imitator companies suggested looking for the “M” on every piece. Over time, the variation of M&M’s flavor combinations has expanded significantly, the release of mini-M&M’s, with peanuts and others, has begun.
- in 2021, M&M’s celebrated their 80th anniversary;
- initially, the treat was sold in cardboard tubes, but in 1948 it was repackaged in brown paper bags, but in the 2000s, cylindrical tubes returned, but in a limited edition – they could be bought at Duty Free;
- in 1960, red and yellow M&M’s were introduced as “spoke candy”, but from 1976 to 1987, the production of reds was stopped due to public fear of Red No. 2 dye – it was believed that it provokes the appearance of cancer;
- in 2008, M&M’s began to be released with personal images of the faces of customers or their pets;
- some of the most unusual flavors of M&M’s are jalapeno, chili with nuts, espresso, caramel corn with white chocolate.
How to celebrate
It is best to have a house party with M&M’s for family, neighbors and friends on the occasion of the holiday. In large companies, it is more interesting to try the various and unusual tastes of this delicacy. If you already have a favorite flavor of M&M’s, then on the occasion of National Day, you can wear clothes in the color of your favorite candy – green, yellow, red, orange or any other.
When is National M&M Day celebrated in 2022?
National M&M Day is observed on October 13 each year.