The question of why National German Chocolate Cake Day is celebrated on June 11th is currently unknown. German chocolate cake is named in honor of Sam German’s chocolate baking bar called «Baker’s German’s Sweet Chocolate» that he submitted to the American Baker’s Chocolate Company in 1852. The first published recipe for German’s chocolate cake was in 1957 and was revealed in the Dallas Morning Star by Mrs. George Clay. General Foods owned Baker’s Chocolate at the time, and when they found out that their recipe was reported in the newspaper, they sent the recipe and pictures of what the cake looked like to newspapers nationwide.
Celebrate this weird holiday by going to the store and buying some Baker’s German’s Sweet Chocolate and baking your own German chocolate cake! You can find the original Baker’s German’s Sweet Chocolate Cake recipe online. Alternatively, you could buy a premade German chocolate cake to enjoy while saving time. You could scroll through photos of German Chocolate Cake on Instagram, and while you’re there, be sure to check out our Instagram Page and follow us: Weird Holiday. Call up your grandma and wish her a «Happy National German Chocolate Cake Day!». Any way that you decide to celebrate National German Chocolate Cake Day, make it succulent and delicious!
National German Chocolate Cake Day Fun Facts
- According to Richard Sax, author of «Classic Home Desserts», cooks were making cakes with German’s chocolate in the 1920s.
- Samuel German, the inventor of the German chocolate cake, lived in Massachusetts.
- German’s chocolate already contained sugar, unlike semi-sweet chocolate.
- After the recipe for German chocolate cake was published, sales of German’s chocolate rose by as much as 73%.
- Kraft Foods now owns the Baker’s brand.
- One slice of German chocolate cake contains about 640 calories.
- One slice of German chocolate cake contains about 38 grams of fat.
- The possessive form (German’s) was dropped in publications after 1957, giving the false impression of a German origin.
- Chantilly cake, a delicacy in Hawai’i, is a chocolate cake that is similar to German chocolate cake.
- The German chocolate cake recipe remains popular to this day and has been adopted by many baking companies.
National German Chocolate Cake Day Jokes
- How does the recipe for German chocolate cake begin?
- First, invade ze kitchen.
- What did the ice-cream say to the unhappy German chocolate cake?
- «What’s eating you?».
- When the little boy was baking a cake, why did it run away?
- It said crack 2 eggs then beat it!
- Why did the German chocolate cake go to the doctor?
- It was feeling crumby.
- Why did the man put candles on top of the German chocolate cake?
- It was too hard to put them on the bottom.
- A man goes to a baker and orders a German chocolate cake. «Come back this afternoon», the baker tells him. When the man returns and flips open the lid of the cake box, his face falls. «What’s wrong?» asks the baker. «Oh, nothing», the man says, but the baker insists. «Well, it’s perfect, really, but I forgot this morning to be more precise: I wanted a German chocolate cake in the shape of the letter B.» The baker tells him, no problem – and to come back the next day, when he’ll have just that item for him. The next afternoon, the man returns and flips open the lid of the cake box, and again is disappointed: «This is wonderful, really, but I should have been more precise: I wanted a German chocolate cake in the shape of a lower-case B, and this one is as you can see an upper-case B.». The baker, who will not take his money, is adamant about satisfying his customer: «Come back tomorrow morning at the very instant that we open and I will have it ready». So early the next morning the man returns, flips open the lid of the cake box, and realizes instantly that he wanted the cake in a lower-case cursive letter B, not a printed letter B. Embarrassed, he insists on paying for the cake – but the baker refuses and instructs the man to return the following day. The man returns – looks at the cake – and beams with joy: «Absolutely perfect!». The baker, also thrilled, asks, «Shall I wrap it up for you?». And the man says, «No thanks, I’ll eat it here».
National German Chocolate Cake Day Quotes
- «I bake. I make a great German chocolate cake. Anyone who knows me will tell you I’m a great baker, the best… When I bake something, I swear to god, it’s gone before it hits the plate». Kimora Lee Simmons
- «My very first job was a commercial for German chocolate and it was all in German. The thing that still sticks out in my mind most about it was I wasn’t allowed to swallow the chocolate. I would take a bite and then at the end of every take I’d have to spit it out. That was very frustrating especially for a kid». Allison Mack
National German Chocolate Cake Day Destinations
- Visit the Kraft headquarters, and ask them about German chocolate cake.
- Go to your local bakery and order a German chocolate cake.
- Drive to the grocery store and buy ingredients to make German chocolate cake.
- At the grocery store, buy a delectable treat that is flavored like German chocolate cake.
- Stay home and read about National German Chocolate Cake Day on WeirdHoliday.com!
Alternative titles for this holiday include: International German Chocolate Cake Day, German Chocolate Cake Day, National German Chocolate Cakes Day, International German Chocolate Cakes Day and German Chocolate Cakes Day.
When is National German Chocolate Cake Day in 2024?
National German Chocolate Cake Day is observed on June 11 each year.