International Vulture Awareness Day is celebrated every year on the first Saturday of September. In 2022, this falls on September 3rd. The mission of the holiday is important and noble – to raise people’s awareness of vultures and talk about their importance for the ecosystem. These are unique birds that have to live in difficult conditions. In addition, International Vulture Awareness Day is aimed at combating the negative image that has developed around these birds. If you want to fight for the conservation of vultures, join in!
The holiday appeared on the calendar thanks to the efforts of the government, as well as associations and organizations that protect the environment and ecology. The first countries to join the International Vulture Awareness Day were England and South Africa. On this day, numerous events are held that are actively publicized.
The negative image of vultures did not appear immediately; in the past, in some cultures, vultures were associated with gods and they were often mentioned in mythology. The most striking example is the patroness of Ancient Egypt, Nekhbet. The vulture crown was an important piece of clothing worn by royalty in ancient Egypt. Also, the symbol of the vulture was especially valued in South American civilizations.
- To date, vultures are recognized as the most diverse species, but despite this, some subspecies are on the verge of extinction.
- The most common causes of death for vultures are poisoning and poaching.
- In America, there are several programs aimed at increasing the population of vultures, raising awareness of the problem of their possible extinction.
- Vultures pose no danger to humans, as they only feast on dead carcasses.
- Vultures are incredibly smart – they do not see a threat in loud sounds, bright lights and large objects.
How to take part
Read about vultures, learn as much as you can about them. The more you learn about the problem of extinction, the better you will understand how you can help and what to do. There are many organizations and programs around the world that work to save birds; join one of them. Contact a representative and find out how you can help.
When is International Vulture Awareness Day celebrated in 2022?
International Vulture Awareness Day is observed on the first Saturday of September each year.