National Pecan Pie Day
National Pecan Pie Day is a wonderful, delicious holiday celebrated annually on July 12th. The history of the famous nut pie in America has more than 125 years. The sweetness is also called pecan pie, since one of the main ingredients is a pecan nut. In addition to it, corn syrup, vanilla are also added, but each housewife has a signature ingredient, such as chocolate, cream or bourbon.
In the early 19th century, people in the southern United States began baking pies based on nuts and custard. The most popular recipe appeared in Mary Randolph’s Virginia Housewife, a cookbook published in 1824. And in the early 20th century, Karo Products helped promote and popularize the nut pie.
- The pecan has a rich history, and its nutritional value and flavor characteristics are different from other types of nuts.
- The closest relative of the pecan is the walnut, but it has a softer texture and a milder flavor.
- The homeland of the nut is America, here its fruits were used by the first settlers – the Indians. The largest plantings are found in states with a warm climate. It is from here that pecans are exported all over the world. Already in 1920, these states produced about one thousand tons of fruits, and today this figure is about 200 thousand tons.
- Another pecan supplier is Australia. From here, nuts are transported in the summer, they have a brighter, richer taste, unlike American ones.
- Gourmets claim that the taste of the nut can be confused with the taste of cookies with chocolate and vanilla.
- In the 16th century, the pecan was called the wrinkled nut because of its interesting shape.
- The pecan tree lives for over 300 years.
How to celebrate
Enjoy the taste of walnut pie with a glass of milk or coffee. It’s very simple – treats can be bought at any pastry shop or cafe. Fortunately, the pie recipe is simple, so it will not be difficult to bake it yourself. Come up with your own recipe, add a secret ingredient and be sure to share the sweet with your friends.
When is National Pecan Pie Day celebrated in 2022?
National Pecan Pie Day is observed on July 12 each year.