- This event has passed.
National Egg Day
Since the start of human civilization, philosophers have been puzzled by whether the egg or the chicken came first. National Egg Day on June 3 is a good time to resume the debate. Scientists expressed a negative attitude toward eggs, due to the high cholesterol content in the yolks, which harms blood vessels. In the new millennium, eggs were once again in favor: doctors identified health benefits which could outweigh the potential harm. One egg is considered the daily norm.
Eggs have been eaten since the Neolithic era. The first primitive incubators appeared in 300 BC. However, in the modern world, keeping chickens and getting fresh eggs in your own backyard is entirely possible. You do not have to have a farm or use special equipment.
Scrambled eggs are considered a traditional breakfast dish. From a practical point of view, it can also be a nutritious low-calorie dinner.
- Egg contains an average of 80 calories, and can be used in dietary salads and desserts.
- Eggs’ nutritional value lies in their high concentration of protein.
- A vast variety of cooking methods provides a wide choice: poached, hard or soft boiled, fried, or scrambled eggs.
The French, Mexicans, and Japanese cook eggs in a unique way. It became the basis of their national cuisine.
How to take part
- Try a long-term project: set up a cozy birdhouse, and install a small camera inside. Birds settling in the birdhouse will want to have offspring. It is possible to observe the development of the eggs from an early stage. This kind of window into wildlife opens a new window on nature.
- On the holiday, take the opportunity to experiment. Give up ordinary chicken eggs; try quail eggs, or pheasant, ostrich, duck, and turkey.
- Go to the zoo and look at eggs laid by live birds.
- Use eggshells in crafts. They are easy to paint. The main thing is to make sure they are hollow and empty.
Eggs contain choline, a substance useful for brain function that promotes the development of neural connections. This is justifies the choice of scrambled eggs in the morning, when there is a long working day ahead that requires concentration and attention.
When is National Egg Day Celebrated in 2022?
National Egg Day is associated with the anticipation of happiness and joy. It is observed on June the 3rd each year.