- This event has passed.
International Town Criers Day
Despite the fact that the profession of heralds is outdated, International Town Criers Day is celebrated every year on the second Monday of July. City criers were also known as bell ringers. This position was accepted by officers who served at the royal court, or held public office. The work consisted in attracting the attention of the inhabitants of the city, when it was necessary to voice important information, to make an announcement. Heralds should not have been afraid of the stage, of a large crowd of people.
International Town Criers Day was created by Scott Fraser of Ontario when he discovered that his profession had been neglected. He decided to draw attention to the work of heralds, since the second Monday of July is the day when the profession is honored and the importance of their role in disseminating important data and messages is emphasized. They were literate, educated people who often needed protection from the crowd when they were forced to report bad news. Despite the fact that the first heralds appeared in ancient Greece, the holiday in their honor began to be celebrated only in 1997.
- The first heralds traditionally announced the beginning of the war.
- The word “stentorian”, which means “loud voice”, came from the name of one of the first heralds named Stentor, according to legend, he had a voice as powerful as fifty people.
- In England during the Middle Ages, heralds began their speech with the call “Oyez”, translated from French, the word means – hear!
- With the development of printing and newspaper production, as well as with the spread of literacy, the need for heralds gradually disappeared.
- Since the heralds sometimes delivered bad news and there were frequent murders, a law was passed to protect them. The attempt on the messenger was equated with the attempt on the king and was punished accordingly.
- The profession of a messenger was spread all over the world, and in each country a certain form and method of notifying people was provided.
How to celebrate
Feel like a herald – recite some news in a loud, well-placed voice. Tell your followers on social networks about the importance and peculiarities of the profession of heralds. Make it fun and casual – change into the livery of the messenger, compose the text in advance and rehearse it. Dig into the Internet, you will learn a lot of interesting things about such an old and important profession. You can also take part in the championship of heralds.
When is International Town Criers Day celebrated in 2022?
International Town Criers Day is observed on the second Monday of July each year.