Dashain starts in September-October after the rice harvest and lasts 15 days. Locals look forward to these dates, and tourists buy tickets to go on a trip. To get to a bright festival is the dream of many. If you also want to see the religious holiday with your own eyes, join us!
Dashain is the most important holiday of the year in Nepal and Bhutan for Buddhists and Hindus. At this time, family members come together from all over the world to meet and strengthen their family ties. The first 9 days of the festival symbolize the battle between good and evil – the Goddess Durga with the demon Mahishasura or the killing of the demon king by Rama Ravana with the blessing of Durga.
It is no secret that there are many poor people in India. The state annually struggles with disappointing statistics. It is noteworthy that during the festival, many poor people can taste meat for the only time in a year and get new clothes.
How to celebrate
- On the first day, a Kalash pot filled with holy water is installed in a separate room for rituals. Grains of rice or barley are laid in it, which will rise in a week. This will symbolize a good harvest for the next year.
- On the seventh, the main part of the holiday begins. Kalash with seedlings is taken from the ritual room and carried through the city in a solemn procession to the music.
- The eighth day is the day of fasting. In the temple of the goddess, sacrifices of cattle and small cattle, as well as ducks and chickens, begin. Prasada is prepared from their meat – food blessed by the gods, after eating which, each person is provided with prosperity in the family. The flowing blood of animals symbolizes fertility.
- The sacrifices continue on the ninth day. Many people with their whole families go to temples to pray to the goddess Teleju.
- On the tenth day, the women prepare a mixture (tika) of yogurt, rice and the red pigment of cinnabar (vermilion) and apply it on the forehead of the youngest for 5 days. It is believed that this will bring them wealth and prosperity next year.
- On the fifteenth day it is not customary to sleep, so as not to miss the blessing of the goddess of wealth Lakshmi.
When is Dashain celebrated in 2022?