Time to cook a healthy vegetable side dish, and enjoy the benefits and taste of a properly cooked dish on May 24, Asparagus Day. Options for cooking asparagus include grilling and baking. Use your favorite recipe.
Asparagus was cultivated and revered in Ancient Rome and Greece. It was used as a gift to the Pantheon gods. In the middle of the XVII century, asparagus appeared in North America, brought there by migrants from Europe. In 1973, the first asparagus festival was held in Michigan. The holiday has been celebrated since 1985.
California, Washington and Michigan are the main producers of asparagus in the United States.
- The name is of Greek origin.
- Asparagus contains vitamins E, C, A, nutrients, folic acid. Asparagus makes the body healthy, prolongs youth and normalizes metabolic processes.
- Asparagus can be grown at home in suitable soil, a sunny location, timely watering and the patience to harvest in 2-3 years.
- Asparagus helps to ease discomfort after drinking alcohol. Micronutrients contained in it protect the liver, and enzymes break down alcoholic compounds.
- There is an asparagus museum in Germany.
On this holiday, visit an asparagus farm. Take part in festivities. Cook a delicious dish with asparagus from a new recipe.
When is Asparagus Day celebrated in 2023?
Asparagus Day is observed on May 24 each year.