American Chess Day is dedicated to a unique game. Chess has spread all over the world and is played by adults and children. The game demonstrates your ability as a strategist and your intellect. The goal is to use your pieces to force the opponent ‘checkmate’, that is, to capture the king. That is why another name for chess is ‘the game of kings’. You can play against another person, a computer or by yourself. There are also online tournaments in which chess players from all over the world take part.
The game appeared in the 7th century AD in India, China and other Asian countries. Quite quickly, chess spread throughout the world. Over the centuries, the rules of the game and sets of pieces have changed. The modern version of chess is recognized as universal. Play chess – it develops your mental faculties and your ability to think strategically. A chess game can last from 2 to almost 6 thousand moves, depending on the abilities and skill of the players.
- With a competent approach and regular practice, you can complete a chess game in a few steps.
- The maximum number of steps in a game is 5949, in which case the pieces are completely rearranged.
- Chess is useful for the mind, the development of tactical skills, and strategic thinking.
- The chessboard in Europe appeared in 1090.
- During the Second World War, chess players were called in by the authorities to break and turn the tide of events, to overcome the enemy on the battlefield.
- The longest game of chess – 269 moves – took place in 1989 between Nikolic and Arshovich. The result was a draw.
- The phrase ‘checkmate’ comes from an older phrase that meant ‘the king is dead’.
How to take part
Organize your own chess tournament if your friends and relatives are fans of the game. Be sure to think about the conditions of the tournament and the main prize. Did you know in New York there is a Chess Quarter? Here you can play at one or more street tables installed at Washington Square. If you want to buy a chess set as a gift, visit the Village Chess Shop; the store has sets from all over the world. You can also visit the oldest chess club in America: the Marshall Club, which has been operating since 1915.
When is American Chess Day celebrated in 2022?
American Chess Day is observed on September 1 each year.