How not to love National Pastry Day, celebrated on December 9, if it is filled with various treats? Today, people unite and celebrate confectionery, without which they cannot imagine life. Drop the diet at least this holiday and enjoy desserts to your heart’s content!
Baking originated in Ancient Greece, Rome and Egypt. It is impossible to establish the exact place of origin. There is evidence that local housewives spoiled their families with berry and fruit pies. How I would like to try the products of that time! It is noteworthy that around 2500 BC. people baked bread. Often he resembled images of animals, intended for sacrifices.
More familiar and relatively modern pastries have existed in Europe since the 18th century. Flour was the main ingredient, so the tormentors did their best to improve its performance. On the ceremonial tables one could find cakes, primitive cakes, biscuits and more. In the 19th century, sugar became widely available – it used to have a very high price tag. A culinary era has begun, full of experiments and amazing events!
Good to know:
- the croissants beloved by the French actually originated in Austria;
- researchers believe that the ancient pies had a closed form and were filled exclusively with meat;
- during the reign of Octavian Augustus, there were more than 300 bakeries in Rome;
- the first pastries were served without dishes: the fact is that the filling in it was eaten away, but the base remained. It could simply be thrown away or given to the poor;
- bread was invented about 7500 years ago. It happened by mistake – the Egyptian left a mixture of water and flour in the oven, and in the morning he found the most delicate dough. Then he developed the idea and created a bun.
How to celebrate
Delight your taste buds with delicious pastries. Buy it from a specialty store or create it in your own kitchen! Watch cooking shows and play your favorite recipe. Invite relatives to a tasting, ask to evaluate the creation!
When is National Pastry Day celebrated in 2022?
National Pastry Day is observed on December 9 each year.